Sunday, November 6, 2011

A Reason to Mourn & a Reason to Celebrate

For the first time this season, I'm not as excited to update you on the happenings of Alabama football this past week. But, the facts are the facts, and we lost to LSU 9-6 in overtime in an intense defensive battle Saturday night. Special teams were the deciding factor between the two teams, and LSU's kicker made one more field goal than we did...that's all there is to it. I hope someone took notes for recruiting priorities next year. Did I cry? Yes. Is there still hope for a championship season? Yes, and that would be absolutely crazy if all of the cards fall into place as necessary for that to happen. I'm proud of those boys in crimson. Roll Tide, forever. Now, let's beat H-E-double hockey sticks out of Mississippi State this Saturday and remind this country what Alabama is capable of. This could still be a wild ride to January 9th!

I wouldn't be being telling the truth if I say that I've completely bounced back from the loss yet...it'll take a day or two of mourning, but I know it's not the end of the world. While the score wasn't ideal, my company during the game certainly was. We had another "viewing" party at Fer Solano's house (the first one was for the UT game two weeks ago), and everyone supported my Tide! We all wore crimson, had our Bama coasters and huggers, and watched the game from start to finish. I loved getting to tell my friends all about our coaches, our players, football rules and strategies, and share some Tide traditions with folks in Costa Rica!

Great friends cheering on the Tide

Our wonderful host and chef, Fer

I just love this picture...

In other happenings, earlier in the day Saturday, I played golf in Santa Ana at an absolutely beautiful course with a great friend, Fer Solano, to keep my mind off the "game of the century" coming up that evening. You had to have been there to fully appreciate the scenery and the weather, but the pictures do it a fair amount of justice. It was very relaxing and enjoyable at the time, but now that it's Sunday morning- I can hardly move. I'm so sore from swinging that golf club...goes to show how often I get out to play. I can't wait to go again soon though! 

The mountains, the course, the weather...just doesn't get much better!

Driving and Putting 


Even earlier in the week-Wednesday we had our "Revenge of the Nerds" YoungLife club. In true YoungLife fashion, I went all out with the theme and did a little Costa Rican thrift store shopping to put together the perfect nerd outfit. The best part of the night ended up being taking "jumping pictures" in Laura Prada's basement in our outfits. This provided lots of laughs, fun pictures, and plenty of entertainment! I gave the "Need" talk at the end of the night reminding our high school friends of their need for Christ. All went well, and there are pictures to prove it...

Our team has never looked better.

One of many "jumping pictures" from the night

Finally, the only thing new with me is the beginning of a "40 Days of Prayer" prayer initiative that I started on Halloween in partnership with my church, The Church at Tuscaloosa, in the States. I listen to Dan's sermons online each Sunday, and I smiled two weeks ago as I heard his message begin to align with where my heart is right now as well-prayer. It's vital, and we'll never know how to well enough or often enough. The ultimate prayer during this time is that God would say to his people exactly what He wants them to hear. In order to hear Him speak, we have to be communicating, right? The doors of our church are open from 7-8 every morning for 40 days for time set aside specifically for prayer, so with a similar attitude, I am praying simultaneously for 40 days days in Costa Rica. I've shared my heart with you in previous weeks about my desire to be better connected as I discern how the Lord is working through my own life in ministry and where He's going with that, as well as how He is working with our YL ministry here in Costa Rica. May these 40 days serve as a time for spiritual training on how to be better connected, how to listen, and how to respond faithfully beyond the initial 40 days...This is a reason to celebrate!

My prayer each morning is this, "Let the morning bring me word of your unfailing love, for I have put my trust in you. Show me the way I should go, for to you I lift up my soul. Rescue me from my enemies, O Lord, for I hide myself in you. Teach me to do your will, for you are my God; may your good Spirit lead me on level ground." -Psalm 143:8-10




No comments:

Post a Comment