Sunday, August 28, 2011

Muchas Gracias

"Muchas Gracias". This is probably my most commonly used Spanish phrase- in English. "thank you very much". A little thanks goes a long way and there is much to be appreciated in this country.

Here are a few things I've become very appreciative of in my first 2 weeks in Costa Rica:

1) My "tica" family: Dona Mari, my madre, and Natalia, my sister, are wonderful. They're so helpful and so patient with me and my Spanish. They prepare 2 meals a day for me at my house and it's so nice not to have to worry about what I need to make.  Most mornings and evenings I just walk into the kitchen and sit on my bar stool. There has yet to be a meal that I haven't enjoyed. They also make me feel like this is my new home. I look forward to coming home, lying down on the couch, watching Disney channel in Spanish (remember, there's a 2 yr old in the house), and telling them about my day.

2) Long walks (usually uphill): There aren't many things I leave the house for that don't require walking. Thankfully, I live in a beautiful city where the view is incredible no matter where you are. I've learned to take advantage of this time...even if I'm completely out of breath. This is the view when you walk out of the Walmart near my house:



3) Fruit: and lots of it! There's an insane variety of fruit grown in this country and even locally in the mountains near Escazu. I haven't quite learned the names of all of them, but I've been very open to trying just about anything! I usually eat fruit for breakfast and at another point during the day.The pineapple is my favorite...and the watermelon, of course. My madre and I went to the "feria" (farmers' market) bright and early Saturday morning to get the first pick on all the freshest and cheapest fruits and vegtables. Here's a few pictures:




4) Public transportation:  I'm on a bus for an hour per day- at least. I've started to really enjoy this time with my newest and closest friend, Nicki, as we ride to and from language school every weekday. We usually just talk, but we also use this time to put in headphones and listen to music, study Spanish, or memorize verses.

5) Rain, rain, and more rain: I've said it before, but it's the rainy season here in Costa Rica. It's guaranteed to start raining sometime between 1 and 3 pm. The worst mistake you can make here is forgetting your umbrella when you leave the house. I really don't mind the rain though because it makes everything so green, and when it's not raining the weather is perfect.

6) Bootlegged SportsCenter in English- Can I say that on here? I don't know...It's probably illegal, but either way, I love coming home from school and watching SportsCenter on a website Nicki's boyfriend told me about. I can't think of anything that makes me feel more at home. It's one of the few things I refuse to watch in Spanish even if it is to my benefit while I'm still learning the language...I gotta do what I gotta do.

7) Cafe con leche- There's just nothing like it anywhere in the States. If our YL team is meeting in Escazu we usually meet at this place that one of our committee members owns called Robin's Kitchen. She makes the best cafe con leche in San Jose, hands down.

8) My YL international schools team- There has not been a day yet in this country that I haven't spent with at least 3 of them. Here we are eating sushi together...what's not to appeciate about these women? From left to right: Me, Jessie Oliver, Alex Ridenour, Nicki Raimondo, and Ali Campbell.

 
See, I really do have so much to be thankful for! Even from a ministry standpoint, I have a huge "muchas gracias" to share. First, we were able to visit middle school and high school friends at 2 international schools last week: Lighthouse and Country Day. While at Lighthouse, we signed up to be substitute teachers- a huge and exciting praise! Then on Thursday, after visiting Country Day, we ended up having coffee and tea with the guy's varsity soccer coach and he offered me the opportunity to help coach the girl's varsity soccer team. My first practice with them will be this Tuesday! We have a good God who can use fun things like sports as an outlet for ministry. Muchas gracias!

"Give thanks to the Lord, for he is good. His love endures forever." -Psalm 136:1
"Therefore, since we are receiving a kingdom that cannot be shaken, let us be thankful, and so worship God acceptably with reverence and awe." -Hebrews 12:28
"Thanks be to God for his indescribable gift." -2 Corinthians 9:15

No comments:

Post a Comment