Thursday, September 1, 2011

A few of those days...

The past couple of days have been days (as my co-worker and friend, Ali, says) where you find yourself looking around and thinking, "Wow, I'm really glad I live in Costa Rica today." There are also days when I find myself thinking, "It would be much easier to be living in the States right now."- but that's life. Anyways, the big news is: It has hardly rained in 2 days! That may be one of the reasons it's been so easy to appreciate being here recently. 

In addition to the dry weather, I've been able to hang out with friends. All kinds of friends at that: brand new friends, friends in high school & middle school, old friends, and even a really old friend! If you know me well at all, you know I love meeting new people. I've made some great new friends with my classmates at our language school, people we go to church with, and other young adults living & working in San Jose. It's fun to be in a big city where there's plenty of new people, but I've also been very appreciative of the time I've been able to spend with my closest friends here- the girls I work with. Building relationships comes quickly when you're all living & working in a foreign country together. And then, to top it all off, I've been able to spend time with a very old friend from the States that happens to be in San Jose as well until the end of this week!

This is my friend, Ali, and me at a Crossover concert at the Jazz Cafe in Escazu:

The best part of my week is Tuesdays and Thursdays when we have CDS girls varsity soccer practice. That's when I get to spend the most time with my middle school & high school friends. I also get to work off all the rice I eat everyday. The opportunity to help coach sat right down beside me at the local coffee shop in the form of the guy's soccer coach who said the girls could use some help (such a God send). It's been awhile since I've seriously trained for or played soccer, but it's been an absolute blast so far! The head coach's name is Octavio. He's the most "Costa Rican" man I've met since I've been here. I also can't understand a word he says. I'm not even positive that most of it is Spanish, and neither are the girls on the team. He yells strange words and instructions at me and I run around trying a few different things until I've figured out what drill he's wanting to run. We're a great coaching pair. Our first game is this Saturday evening, so yall be thinking about us Lady Panthers playing in San Jose! 

Here's some pictures of our practice today: Enjoy!






Not to be negative at all, but now that you know what's been awesome about today and the previous few, I'll let you know what's not fun about living in Costa Rica right now: 

College football season started in the States today. And sadly, that means nothing to people here. 

I wouldn't trade what I'm getting to do now though for sideline passes to the Alabama/Tennessee game in Bryant-Denny stadium...and that's sayin' something!

Roll Tide, ya'll!






No comments:

Post a Comment