Sunday, September 4, 2011

Game Day In More Than One Way: Football and Fútbol

Yesterday was one of my favorite days of the year- a game day. Game days are up there with Christmas and my birthday and luckily, during football season, they happen once a week! This may sound silly or trivial, but one of my biggest concerns before moving out of the country for the year was missing Alabama's football season. Not only can I not be at the games, but they're difficult to even find on TV here. Yesterday was the first Alabama game day of the season, and I tried my best to make the most of it! I started the day off by putting on my Trent Richardson jersey and a Roll Tide bow in my hair. I went to breakfast with some friends before kickoff and ate a Costa Rican favorite, gallo pinto. I am never shy about my pride for the Tide. Even if no one here knows where Alabama is or what "Roll Tide" means; after they meet me...they absolutely will.

Game day ready: Here I am eating my Costa Rican breakfast. Roll Tide, ya'll!


As the title suggests, it was not only a game day for the Tide. The girls' soccer team that I coach at Country Day School had a game on Saturday as well. It was our first game in a week long tournament in Sabana, and my first game as a coach! Now I've played a lot of soccer in the States, but nothing is like fútbol in a Latin American country...nothing. Mostly because there is nothing else. If you open the sports section of the newspaper the whole thing is only one sport: fútbol/soccer. I now live in a one-sport world, and I am so fortunate to, first, have plenty of experience with that sport, and second, have the opportunity to jump right into their world. Unfortunately, we lost our first game 3-1. I'm hoping for a better outcome in Monday night's game!

Here is Coach Sydney and the CDS Lady Panthers in our first game of the tournament on Saturday night:



Now I have two types of game days to get excited for: Football and Fútbol. With it being college football season and having soccer going on at the same time, I'll have several days of the week to wake up and think, "It's Game Day."

Young Life/WyldLife Ministry:
It's about to get crazy here with international schools' YoungLife and WylfLife ministries. Everything starts this week! If you would like to be praying for our team and our area, here are some dates and events you should know:
-Our first YoungLife club is this Wednesday (Sept. 7th)
-Our first WyldLife club is this Friday (Sept. 9th)
-Our YL/WL Garage Sale  fundraiser is this Saturday (Sept. 10th)

A sincere thanks goes out to everyone who has been prayerfully supporting me and our ministry here in San Jose. Please email me personally if you want to know anything more about what's going on! (semcwaters@gmail.com) If these first 3 weeks of my time here have been any sort of window into what the Lord has in store for this semester than it's going to be incredible!

"Look at the nations and watch---and be utterly amazed. For I am going to do something in your days that you would not believe, even if you were told." -Habakkuk 1:5






No comments:

Post a Comment