Saturday, September 10, 2011

Pajama Party and a Snow Storm

First off, can I get a "Roll Tide" for that win over Penn State this afternoon? 2-0 is great start to the Tide's season!

In other news, another week in San Jose has past, and it was certainly the busiest one yet! In the previous post I gave ya'll a heads up about our first YoungLife and WyldLife clubs this week and our garage sale fundraiser this morning. Now that the week has come and gone, I can report that all were a huge success! I'll elaborate a little more on each event and post some great pictures so you can see what you missed out on and/or supported through thoughts and prayers.

On Wednesday night of this week we had our first YoungLife club of the semester. The theme was a pajama party! As many of you  know, we YoungLife people believe that any game is 2x's as much fun when you play blindfolded. We had a blindfolded pillow fight, fed each other cereal while blindfolded, and played an intense game of blindfolded Pictionary. Because YoungLife's blindfold theory is absolutely correct, we had a blast!  In retrospect, one of my favorites things about the night was being able to experience every aspect of club in a new YoungLife area/country.  No two areas do things the same way, and it's very interesting to see what works in certain cultures and learn new ministry techniques. Those of you who know me well also know that one of my favorite parts of YoungLife, other than the obvious, is program. It felt great to be back in front of high school friends providing laughter and fun, even if that means drinking an absurd amount of shared toothpaste and chewed up oreos (skit reference).

After one day of recovery and re-grouping, Friday night was the first WyldLife club of the semester and, as tradition would have it, it was a Costa Rican Snowstorm. This took me back to my days of working at the Ranch (5th & 6th graders) with Pine Cove camps. It has been quite some time since I spent time with middle school students, and I was pleasantly surprised at how much I enjoyed it and look forward to being a WyldLife leader! The idea of this club theme is to let Costa Rican middle school students experience the snow storm they will never have. We made each other into snowmen, had a Q-tip war, made bologna snowflakes, and finally....had an all-out snow ball fight! The San Jose version of a snowball fights means you start with 300 flour bombs, then move on to marshmallows, and finish by covering all of your closest friends with shaving cream. When it was all said and done, it really did look like it had snowed!

Here are some pictures to give you an idea of what the night entailed:




This morning (Saturday), we woke up bright and early to get started with our annual YoungLife Garage Sale fundraiser. We had been picking up and storing donations for weeks and had tons of great stuff for sale.  Last year, the fundraiser provided several WyldLife camp scholarships and this year should be more of the same! It was awesome to be able to share what YoungLife is about with people from all over our neighborhood and provide them with some great deals.  When you really think about it, the sale ends up providing a way for the people who are not wealthy to provide camp scholarships to students who can't necessarily afford to pay for an entire camp trip. I love the way that comes full circle. We also had several sweet moms and committee members provide baked goods to sell. It was a great day and great to see God's providence in action!

This where and how it all went down:



A series of unfortunate events:
-My CDS girls' soccer team was eliminated from our tournament today in a 3-1 loss. However, it was awesome practice for when the season officially starts in November, and I'm pumped about spending a few days each week with that group of high school girls.
-I've been having some crazy allergic reaction to something in Costa Rica. I call it my Costa Rican chicken pox, but it's really like 24/7 hives. At first, I just planned on toughing it out and hoping it went away, but now I think it will take some medical treatment so it doesn't interfere with my daily life here. I could definitely use some prayer with this one because I've never dealt with serious allergies before.  

Here's to a Sunday of rest and re-energizing for another week!





No comments:

Post a Comment